Lumbar sacralization

Discuss well known conditions like Arthritis or any number of rare spinal diseases.

Lumbar sacralization

Postby lillehube » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:10 pm

I suffer chronic back pain as the result of an L4-L5 herniation and its complications. I hit my low point in January of 2001. Since then I have diligently worked with MDs, physical therapists, massage therapists, yogis etc. I have done various stretching and strengthening exercises daily for four years. I have improved at what I believe to be the slowest pace humanly possible.

Currently I function at about 75%. I get through the day with tolerable pain, but I am still very limited. I often feel that pain in my foot which I believe results from pressure on the nerve. I know I have a sacralized L5 vertebra and, while no one has ever suggested that this is a factor, I am beginning to wonder.

I am very interested to learn what is known about how sacralization plays a role in the development of disk disease and its treatment. I would greatly appreciate any direction. Cheers.

John Huber
Seattle, USA
lillehube

Postby tracy7 » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:40 pm

Hello,

I have a partially sacralized 5th lumbar vertebra, with a huge transverse process (batwing) on my left side. I have found out this is called Bertolottis Syndrome and is a fairly common congenital deformity. I have read a lot about this on the internet and, in summary, most doctors think sacralization in general, and Bertolottis Syndrome in particular, cause few or no problems in most people. However, it can set up ones lower discs (especially L4-L5) for greater risk of degeneration/herniation than "normal" spines. Apparently, partially sacralized spines have to be more mobile on one side to compensate for the abnormal fusion on the other side. I dont know if your sacralization fits my scenario. There is a lot of information on the internet about it. If you choose to read a lot of information about it, you will probably end up knowing more about sacralization than some doctors. [;)] Take care!
tracy7

Return to Disorders & Diseases